Exchange Rates $
|Dates: 1997 Sept 29, 30
- Arrived in Nice in the morning, found a room for 55 francs per night
per person. The room included a kitchenette. Room rating: OKAY.... reasonable
price, but small and sparse.
- Went for a walk along the Promenade des Anglais, the main road along
the beaches on the Mediterranean Sea. These are those legendary "topless"
beaches (I didn't see anything). I was actually searching for the American
Express office (which I did find).
- The weather was nice ..... sunny and mild.
- Because we had a kitchenette in our room, we decided to cook our own
dinner. Not knowing where the supermarket was, I asked the innkeeper for
directions. he did not speak very much english, thus between his little
english, my little Canadian french, and gestures, he showed me where the
store was (it was located in what appeared to be a woman's clothing store).
- I went to the Musee d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporain (modern and
contemporary art) ...... modern art is in the eye of the beholder, and
there were not many things to beholdm there.
- Left Nice on the morning of Sept 30 for Barcelona, Spain. The train
ride took us along the shores of the French Riviera ..... very scenic,
as we passed through places such as Cannes and Marseille.
- To get to Barcelona, we had to change trains in Montpellier, France.
We boarded the Spanish train for Barcelona. Besides being a slow, old, rickety
train, we were assessed a 500 peseta fee for NOT having reservations on
this train! Luckily, I had some Spanish pesetas with me. Needless to say,
we were a little annoyed.
For more info about Nice, visit the City
Of Nice Web Site.