Chany's Eurotrip '97 Summary
Exchange Rates $
|Dates: 1997 Sept 18, 19, 20
- Arrived at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport; grabbed train to Amsterdam's
Centraal Station (downtown)
- We were immediatly pounced upon by guys (we refer to them as "vultures")
offering hotel and hostel rooms (we must have looked like tourists!)
- Found a hostel for 40 Guilders per night per person. It included a
private washroom and shower. The room was located over a drug bar. One
could not use the toilet without having one foot in the shower. The shower
lacked hot water in the morning. Room rating: The room SUCKS (2 nights).
- Lots of bicycles ..... bikes seem to be a major form of transportation
in downtown Amsterdam.
- Lots of canals ...... are we in Venice?
- All the locals seem to speak English (and quite well).
- Visited the Rijksmuseum ..... learned about Dutch history (they're
always being occupied by some invading force!) and culture ...... saw some
of Rembrandts' masterpieces here.
- Visited the Van Gogh Museum .... the world's largest collection of
Vincent Van Gogh's works .... interesting.
- Went "window shopping" around the infamous Red Light District
..... FYI, the going rate is 50 Guilders.
- There seems to be dog s**t everywhere on the cobblestone streets and
- Yes, I took a piss into the canal (I heard you were suppose to do that!).
- Total: Two sleeps in Amsterdam.
- Plan: Catch the early morning train to Munich, Germany.
For more information visit the City
Of Amsterdam Web Site or the Amsterdam
Heritage Web Site.